Today’s Happy Note: Free food. Seriously, what is better in this world than free food? Okay, I will admit that I am kind of a free food snob — I won’t eat anything that looks suspicious, greasy, etc. But still. There are a lot of options. Today alone I garnered a piece of pineapple cake, hors d’oeuvres, and a fudgy brownie. I am a free food expert.
Ooof. I am suffering from those middle-of-the-week blues. I can’t seem to get in gear. My brain feels foggy. My body feels tired. For some odd reason (warning: sarcasm ahead), I have no interest in wading through 800+ pages of Ibn Khaldun…
But enough of my complaining! When I am feeling down or overwhelmed, I remember how many good things I have going for me. Here are a few:
- I have a pantry and a fridge stocked with delicious, wholesome foods. Right now I am loving TJs sesame honey cashews, frozen blueberries, and fresh mozzarella (not all together though!).
- I got an A on the first paper of the semester that I have gotten back. I never get A’s on papers, so I was super thrilled about this.
- My laundry is clean.
- Lovely fall weather.
- I am going to be running a very exciting marathon in less than two weeks. I have two legs that do amazing things!
- I have kind, sweet friends and a loving, thoughtful boyfriend.
- I have an awesome, if a little bit crazy, family. My mama might be coming to visit me for my birthday/marathon weekend (I turn 21 on Saturday November 6th and run the ING NYC Marathon on Sunday November 7th)!
- I’m resilient!
- I write well. I’m working on an essay right now about the color red. The entire thing consists of different ways of saying “red”.
- I have a lovely long weekend to look forward to, full of baking and friends and USB and five whole days of no school.
Much better. 🙂
Marathon Training: Yesterday as a rest/cross training day, as Mondays always are. I was too antsy to rest, so I did Level 1 of the 30 Day shred in the evening followed by 10 minutes of kettlebell swings and yoga. Easy peasy 30 minute workout. I love reminding myself that sometimes, it is so not necessary to spend hours working out. Today I did 7.5 miles: 2 warm-up, 4 Tempo, 1.5 cool-down. The Tempo part went really well, and I felt like I was flying. Afterwards I felt dead though. The cool-down was pretty much a joke. I looked like a dying animal staggering home. Meh.
It’s taper, and weird things happen during tapers, so I’m not going to worry about it.
I have been craving a ton of snacky food lately — I’d rather have a handful of nuts or yogurt with pumpkin and blueberries than real meals. Sometimes I wonder if I should try eating less frequent, bigger meals, instead of constantly being snacky all day. But at the same time, I like being snacky: it means I get to eat a wider variety of delicious things more frequently!
Hmmm, decisions, decisions.
I don’t really plan on doing any fooling around with my diet until after the marathon, so I have a week or two to think things over. I’m seeing endocrine soon (FINALLY) and can’t wait. I don’t like being poked and having tests done and whatnot, but it will be worth it to figure out what’s going on!
I know I promised a post about the way I eat last week. Stay tuned, I promise it’s coming this week!
Oh, and the jeans I mentioned the other day. I figured I should share (by the way, I am morally opposed to mirror pictures and would never take one outside of the context of trying to show you guys what something looks like when no one else is around to take the picture. I hope you will forgive me):
They’re super comfy and make me feel confident. A winning purchase, in my book.
Anything you want to complain about? Middle of the week got you down? Let me hear it!
What do you have going for you? How do you make yourself feel better when you’re feeling blah?