Today’s Happy Note: Everything! See below. 🙂
1. Haircuts! I wish I could blow dry my hair and make it smooth and shiny like this…I don’t even own a blow-dryer or any styling products. My hair is very long, thick-ish, a bit dry, wavy, and prone to frizz. I want some things to put in it to make it pretty. Where should I start?
2. Dance parties in the living room. I didn’t want to run so for a fresh, alternative form of cardio, I danced!
Ignore the messy house (I think it’s endearing!) and that bizarre tanline I’ve got going on. I need to stop running outside in such weirdly shaped tops.
3. Rediscovering tuna! I always thought tuna had to be either boring and plain or mixed with mayo and unhealthy. Wrong. I mixed a whole can with a giant spoonful of hummus, giant spoonful plain yogurt, yellow pepper, celery, lemon pepper mix, and sea salt for lunch. Served in a flat out wrap. This was a very refreshing lunch, and I most certainly plan on eating more tuna this summer!
4. Sweaty yoga sessions. It wasn’t hot yoga or anything, but it was muy humid around here today and there were a lot of bodies in that room. Unfortunately I had a slippery mat, but the actual class was great! I loved all the planks and shoulder stretchy poses and balances. I had two great tripod headstands, which was nice. Little successes always makes me feel more confident.
5. Eggs. Seriously, why is such a simple food so incredibly tasty? I think that I may have actually fallen in love. They are creamy, savory, smooth, filling, cheap. What more could I ask for in a protein? I have been doing a lot of two-egg puffs in the microwave. They cook in less than two minutes! Oh, and I almost always eat them with the yolk. One, because I think it’s weird to buy separate egg whites and I’m too lazy to separate out the whites from whole eggs, and two, because the yolk is ACTUALLY GOOD FOR YOU. Yes, I said it. It really has no connection whatsoever with blood cholesterol levels. The yolk is a source of healthy fats, vitamins, and proteins that can’t be found in the whites. Eggs have gotten a bad name, but there is actually no science behind this — just a lot of hype, myth, and misinformation. So crack open some eggs. Yolks and all.
Served with hummus, salad, and carrots, this is a wonderful weeknight summer dinner. Light but also stays with you.
6. Breakfasts that come with a side of sunshine.
7. Baking. I’m making a special concoction for a blog friend tonight. One that says “Michigan!” Hint: what fruit is MI famous for? I’ll share some pictures tomorrow. I haven’t started yet because my mother is currently at war with a thick steak and the broiler. The broiler is winning.
8. Friends. I’m going to see one of my best friends from high school tomorrow. Friends make me so very happy.
What makes you happy today?