Today’s Happy Note: Green things! Everything from tree buds to salads to green monsters and green dresses. Green means spring and I like it!
Sorry for my unexpected absence last night friends! I’m sure you can guess he culprit — schoolwork, obvs. Icky, but has to be done. Fortunately I did a much better job of planning my schedule today so I have time to blog! I think taking one week night off seems to work well, but that night needs to shift around from week to week. I like to shake things up!
Good news: I GOT A JOB WORKING FOR A NON-PROFIT I LOVE THIS SUMMER!!!!! And it’s paid. Just not a lot. It’s a part-time/evening gig which means that I will be able to work other times at my current job and hopefully save a little bit of money. I am quite excited about being in NYC over the summer; I love not having classes and homework and being able to plan out my day and my life the way I want to. It makes me feel very adult 🙂
Exercise: I did an easy five miles yesterday. I was going to take a rest day, but it was so nice out I just couldn’t. I did a mini yoga sesh by myself afterwards. I love tree pose so much right now! Makes me feel calm and balanced but also strong.
Today I did seven and a half miles, definitely faster than yesterday. It was about 58-60 degrees when I went (at 7 am) but it was unbelievably humid! I was drenched when I got back and sucked down three full water bottles by nine. Today’s run reminded me how ambivalent I am about summertime running. It can just get so damn hot and humid that it’s unbearable. I don’t think I could ever live in the South!
Hopefully my body adjusts a bit by the time June rolls around and it starts getting into the 80s and 90s!
Eats: Lots of random munchings lately — all of which have been good! Here’s a sampling…
Multiple salads larger than my head 🙂
Oatmeal with melty nut butter and easter candy.
Random food thoughts, in list format because I love lists:
1. Lemon-lime twist zevia is the most disgusting drink I have ever had in my entire life. When I was little I loved Sprite. I dunno if I have just really come to dislike processed foods or what, but I think this stuff is actually worse than Sprite. Please don’t buy it, please. Has anyone tried the other zevia flavors? I had black cherry steaz last week and it was really good; maybe it’s just this brand of stevia-sweetened drinks that’s gross.
2. Why does my soy milk have 12 g carbs and 3 g protein? This is just wrong. I am guessing it’s because it’s the chocolate kind, but still, that’s inappropriate. Soy milk is supposed to be a protein, I’m pretty sure, not a carb. I need to be a more diligent label reader, I guess.
3. In the last year as I’ve learned about processed foods, I have stopped wanting them! Sure, I get the occasional TJ’s pre-made stuff (ahem, ginger cat cookies) and I’ll never totally break up with bars, but I would say a vast majority of my diet is made up of whole foods at this point. No more yoplait light or 100 calorie goldfish packs. Now that I know how awesome a cheesy veggie and egg scramble or a perfectly seasoned medium-rare steak is, I find myself craving those things instead. This afternoon for my snack, I only wanted a plain turkey burger and some cashews!
4. Another thing I have gotten infinitely better at: self-regulating/moderation. I was making cookies for a bake sale tonight and of course I had to snack on a bite of dough and a few of the m and m’s that I was adding in, but after a few bites I realized I didn’t want anymore! I’d already had dessert and wasn’t in the mood for more sugar. I love how my body is really getting better at listening to itself.
5. Why oh why is produce so expensive? Sure, four dollars for a bag of spinach doesn’t seem so bad, but when a bag of spinach only lasts me four days, that’s eight dollars a week on spinach alone! Grrrr.
Sorry this post is kind of all over the place. Sometimes my brain works in spurts and my thoughts just aren’t coherent. Meh. Also sorry I haven’t been the best commenter/reader lately; busy busy week, but come Thursday and Friday I’ll be back.
Happy middle of the week everybody!